Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Cultural Differences (Health)

Sooo, as many can imagine, there are a few cultural differences between my Peruvian friends and myself. I think the biggest difference in opinion we’ve had so far has been what exactly is causing me to be sick. Of course, both times I have been sick diarrhea has accompanied it. Therefore, me, being raised in a society where we go to the doctor almost every time we’re sick, assumed it to be something I ate or the water. This should seem a very logical assumption to everyone back home. My host parents on the other hand believed it to be the wind. Now, I know most Peruvians in the Sierra have beliefs that the cold pretty much causes every sickness but the wind? I really wasn’t expecting that. It was hard to sit there and just nod my head at the notion that the wind could be causing diarrhea, (unless there is a new study I am unaware of) but I did nonetheless. I like to think that what I did was demonstrate, what employers nowadays like to call, cultural sensitivity by not evoking my own views on them. We could laugh at them and call them even stupid. However, it’s really not their fault. These beliefs and views have been passed down generation to generation. Not until recently has there actually been a doctor in my town let alone transportation to get out of my town to a doctor. We can really just chalk it up to ignorance. People in my town truly have confidence in herbal remedies which do not require pills or antibiotics. To me, this is interesting and I’m willing to try them out. Anyways, this is just one of the cultural differences I have come to find here in my town.

On the work front, I had my first entrepreneur club meeting last night. It was actually lots of fun. Six people came but six is better than zero. All of them were pretty into it towards the end and I hope to see them back next Monday.
Also, we recently just started another town soccer tourney two Sundays ago. I’m currently playing on a different team called Juvenil Sombra which literally means Shadow Youth (fittingly, we wear black jerseys). The first game I couldn’t make which we lost 1-0. The second game was this past Sunday against Olympia. We won 4-1. I scored two goals. Felt really good to score goals. So here are the current standings:

1. Union Talleres 4
2. Juvenil Sombra 3
3. Colegio 1
4. Olympia 1

Top two teams move on to play in the town’s aniversario in January against some teams from Arequipa. Exciting!

2 comments:

Nathan said...

The Chinese have somewhat similar beliefs. If you have any kind of moving air on you while you sleep you WILL get sick. No questions asked, you will get sick. It was frusturating when it was between 90-100 degrees and I just wanted my fan on while I slept and it had to be turned off.

Olin C. said...

Buddy, diarrhea isn't the worst thing that could happen to you is it? in my opinion it is kind of cleansing. haha. I'm glad to hear you are doing well in Peru and still ripping it up on the football pitch. I'll get a longer e-mail off to you soon so we can catch up a bit. Love