Monday, July 28, 2008

baby shower, bday and independence day

mi cancha...football field to the right
chacrasana
otra vez
hahaha baby shawer
the father with a diaper
good stuff
pelea de gallos
my host dad and sister
mi familia

bday party for lil ones
pinata
spiderman party

This weekend is Independence day for Peruvians. Unfortunately, Peruvians don’t go quite as buckwild as us Americans do for the 4th. However, I did attend a birthday party for a 6 year old yesterday and then a baby shower at the same house. First, the birthday party. This was pretty much me and two other volunteers with about 15 little kids running around and a couple of moms. There was a ton of food and a piñata. It was kinda fun to hit a piñata again, brought back some good memories. Then, the kids had to dance haha. I think this why people from latin america are so good at dancing because when they have their sixth birthday they are torced to dance. So, by the time they come to the US they are a lot better than us. In addition, at this first party I was forced to eat about 5 pieces of cake…and thats not an exaggeration. Then, I stayed there to help set up for the baby shower.

Baby showers here are a lot different than back in the US. First off, guys go to the baby shower. Secondly, there were Clowns haha. I think we were all a little confused because when we got there before the birthday party we asked if there were going to be clowns and she said yes. So, we assumed the clowns would be a the 6 year olds birthday party. Little did we know that they would be at the baby shower haha. So, pretty much the baby shower was hosted by clowns and it was kind of like a roast of the father. The father was forced to do a lot of embarrassing things while the mother just sat and enjoyed. There was also some crowd participation which was pretty funny. The last part of the baby shower the dad had to guess what each present was and if he didn’t know he had to drink pisco(alcohol) from a baby bottle. My mom told me there are some more extreme baby showers where there is a lot more drinking. That seems to be a common theme in Peru, drinking that is haha. It’s a huge part of every activity to be honest which is why there are a lot of problems with alcoholism out in the campo. Anyways, I was at this house for about 9 hours yesterday for both parties and at about 10 pounds of food. I’m still waiting for the consequences of my decisions. Ooooo I totally forgot. I had another new food yesterday, anticucho orrrr cow heart!!! It was pretty good to be honest haha. Today we’re having some trout and cow heart again and then tomorrow we’re having turkey. I tried to explain to my family the wonders of turkey on thanksgiving. Then, Tuesday we have a mini independence day celebration after training and on Friday I finally get my site! Then, I can start planning vacations with everyone! Ok, that’s all....

No comments: