Sunday, August 3, 2008

Me voy a Arequipa

I finally found out what I will be doing and where I will be living for the next 2 years!!! I will be going to the department of Arequipa (departments are like states) in the South of Peru. I will be working with an artesian association, farmers, and doing some tourism work as well. For mor specifics about my site you’ll have to shoot me an email so I can divulge them to you.
I must say I’m really pumped. On Sunday I leave for my site visit and wont return until the next Sunday. Basically we get to meet our community counterpart on the site visit and then get to stay in our site for about 4 days to experience it and learn more about it. Then we come back for 2 more weeks of training and then are off for 2 yearsss.

The only thing I think that sucks about knowing where exactly we are going is that us being separated from friends again is coming up soon. Most of us have become accustomed to our host families and fellow trainees. I know I have at least. However, we will have to start anew once again in less than a month. It’s pretty crazy/scary to think about but that’s why we all signed up for this job right? Also, at least I know for me, I’ll be living in harsher conditions (I’m pretty sure my house is made of Adobe bricks….aka dirt!)

Other things going on…we learned about beekeeping today and guinea pig farming at la Agraria. The honey from the bees was soooooo gooooodddddd. It was our last session at la Agraria. I can’t really think of too much else that happened this week other than us getting our sites b/c that was so large. I related this week to the days leading up to Christmas when you were a kid. I felt like I was back on my balcony of sorts at my house waiting to go downstairs to open presents. This week was pretty painful in that way but in the end it was awesome.

Funny phrases using Arequipa… (phonetic spelling = Air-uh-keep-uh)

Arequipeen it real (This is the motto)

Im an Arequipaaa (Soccer keeper)

Arequip it in your pants

No comments: