Friday, December 19, 2008

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas…or not.

So, up here in the middle of nowhere, it’s not that we lack the Christmas spirit. It’s just that society hasn’t gotten us revved up for Christmas like it does the big cities. We lack a place to get a picture with Santa Claus. We lack Christmas music playing on every radio station. We also lack money with which to splurge on presents (that includes me haha). To say the least, this year’s Christmas will be like no other in many ways. I’ve asked many people about what they do for Christmas and no one seems to really care. There are two chocolatadas where the kids get hot chocolate from the municipality and that’s about it. The people here actually go out to the chacra to work on Christmas. How depressing haha. But really most of Christmas is commercialized nonsense (kinda like how people celebrate their birthdays for a whole week, you know who you are). However, us volunteers are going to try to get together on Christmas so that we don’t go insane. It’s gonna be real different but Christmas is Christmas.

Another note: My neighbor just died today. A real surprise. I was not too close with him but every time I walked out of my house he’d say “Ingeniero!!!!” which means engineer. People get hung up on titles here in Peru but ingeniero is one of the best ones haha. He also used to root for me at football games and he’s helped my family out a lot with our chacras and moving the adobe bricks. He once was drunk at a soccer game and took my hand and kissed it haha. He was a light hearted guy and will surely be missed by the community.

2 comments:

Olin C. said...

Ryan, first, I miss you. Second, it sounds as if you need a little extra Christmas Cheer from the U.S.ofA. and Third, the experiences you are having and your ideas to help students with their options after High School are most Honorable. You've been gone only a few months but it seems as though you've fallen into the role and are using your vast resources (edu, smarts, fut-bol skills, etc.) to help those around you. Your efforts in Peru are uplifting for those of us here who know and love you especially around the Holiday season when more of us should try to help anyone less fortunate. I'm glad you're doing well, talk to you soon. -OC

Anonymous said...

Ryan, you forgot to say I sent you a Xmas Postcard.